Sunday, May 12, 2013

 Good Sunday morning to all, and a Happy Mother's day as well.

You have figured out by now, that there was no posting for yesterday and I have a very good reason...the Pharaoh (Amy) had the slaves (us) making bricks (painting) way into the evening...but PTL we got a LOT accomplished.

We got a late start because we had to make several stops to find rollers, paint and other needed stuff. While I am talking paint, here in St. Louis the only colors available or white, white, or white..we then buy tinting colors and make whatever colors you want and hopefully enough to finish your room and not too much so you end up with 4 rooms of camel dung brown. (that's a joke)! But you do have to have a good eye for paint quantity. In addition, we have to use oil base paints and the paint thinner we buy comes in wine bottles, with corks and all. Guess it comes from France.

Back to the painting, we were at the A/G school and what a difference a coat of paint makes in an old building.  I will post before pictures today, and later I will post after pictures. We are also repainting all the old desks that have years of crayon, chalk, and just plain use and we have to work when school is not in session. That is the reason we had such late hours last night. Also, Amy has a local young man that is a "painting machine" and we had him for the day. With tall ceilings and no ladder, I wondered how he would paint up high at the ceiling corner, but he had a long extension and put a paintbrush in the end and "Voila" a finished room...amazing. That guy is so fast, I swear I heard the sound of a paint machine going as he painted. He also sang while he worked, Christian choruses in French...I tried to sing along but it sounded like the 12 days of Christmas to me, so that is what I sang.

Made my daily trip to the hardware boutique called a "Quincairre'" and now I am on first name basis with the hardware guy,,even though I can't pronounce his name, a handshake and a smile go a long way.

Amy had a sudden inspiration this morning and let Peggy drive in town. I will post pictures. She did a good job considering she drives the same way here that she does in the states. Enough said !

Went to the center and had lots of kiddos, and was I shocked when little Iessa came in and ran up and threw her arms around my neck and gave me the biggest hug, although I am huggable.

We have some more painting to do today so school can be ready tomorrow and I noticed lots of windows need screens and glass, so that will be on my agenda later.

 We are so happy to be here and hopefully what we are doing will impact someone's life, language barrier or not, that strangers will come and love on them and help them. This morning an older gentleman (Muslim) walked by as I was on the porch talking to Ndaiye', and he stopped to talk to me. He was a Senegalese English teacher and Amy said he never would have stopped to talk to her, being a woman, but since I was distinguished looking and a man, he would talk to me. Actually the word Amy used was old, not distinguished...but it means the same to me.

What a joy it is to be here with Amy and see her ministry here to the kids. Just talking to her and seeing her vision let's us know we need to hold her up in prayer and support. Lot's of obstacles here in a male dominated society for females but she holds her own, in a loving and kind way.

One tremendous prayer that needs to be answered is for a Senegalese Muslim to take up the cause for these street boys. It needs to be a local person, not a missionary or foreigner for several reasons.

Love you all and if God lays it on your heart to do a short term missions trip, Senegal could use you. It is not glamorous but it is unique. The people are loving and hospitable and thankful.

From Senegal,

Ken and Peggy







 



 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment