Friday, July 12, 2013

Winding down !

Friday 7:55 pm and I need to play catch up on life here in Senegal.

Ramadan started 2 days ago and what a difference. They say it will get worse as hunger and thirst sets in after all day fasting but for now all is quiet. At 7:45 pm, they have the OK to eat and drink and the streets are deserted. Last night, coming home from the center after conversational English, there was maybe one taxi on the road and no cars to speak of. The streets are deserted, but you can see people on the sides of the road and in their homes, all eating.

We have been on coast mode for the last week and it may continue till we leave. Not a lot going on other than we are loving going to the center Wednesday thru Saturday now. Today we had 22 and a lot of new faces. One little boy came that Nelson had an encounter with. One day, he and Maite were walking and the little boy through a rock and hit Maite. Well to his surprise, Nelson chased him down and the little boy was terrified. Nelson wasn't mean to the boy, and there was a Senegalese man who stopped and Nelson explained what had happened. Nelson told the little boy, "I am not mad, but if I were Senegalese, I could hit you with a rock, but I am a Christian and I just want to tell you what you did was wrong." Nelson invited him to the center and the little boy has come twice and is so happy.
The center has really been awesome with Jessica and Jenna here lots of hands and lots of neat crafts. One day water balloons, today "pipe cleaner eyeglasses" and every day more really neat stuff for the kids.
Today, little Ooshman came up behind me and started squeezing my shoulders and patting me on the back. Very uncommon for boys and especially him since he is so quiet and much older. He really has come out of his shell as well as others like Mia and Achmed.

Mondays we go to the Church/school to finish up electrical and minor stuff before we leave.

Today, while walking home from the center, we heard someone yelling "Kareem, Kareem!. We didn't pay any attention until a man walked up and said "Are you Kareem?". Peggy then looked around and a young man whom I had a good conversation with a few months ago saw us and remembered us. He asked me when I was going home to America. I told him 2 weeks and he asked me if I still had his phone number so I could call him when I get home. I told him I did, but calling is too expensive from America and I believe that made him sad.  We made plans for him to come back next Friday for a longer visit.

I have a new shadow that follows me around in the neighborhood. His name is Moussa and he is 3 years old. We will leave the house and turn around and there he is even though we may be 2 or 3 blocks from home. I try to tell him to go home, but I end up having to take him as he will not go. Once or twice I had to pick him up and he begins kicking and screaming. He really hates to leave us. When we are home, he will come over and sit on our porch and I can hear him outside just talking away through our window.

Made my daily visit to Pap, my hardware man and he is counting the days till we leave also. Everyone we have made relationships with here are asking us to stay or at least promise to come back. While there, Pap handed out about 10 packages of chips to the street kids that come to his shop. He has such a sweet spirit and heart for the kids. Peggy said if she stayed here, she would work with him on starting a program to the street boys.

Going to include some random photos for the past few days.

Love
Ken and Peggy                                               Little Moussa


 

 
 
 
Ladder golf, kids love it
                                                             Miss Iesha, and her new glasses
 Little boy is quite the artist, he is the one Nelson invited to the center
 Little Mohammed, a new boy that I have worked with to get him to enjoy the center and quite the basketball player to be so young
 
Water balloon day

No comments:

Post a Comment